I am available for talks on macro photography at clubs or societies of any sort. I am free most evenings except Mondays, when my own club meets (South Manchester Camera Club, based in Didsbury, Manchester).
I will travel up to one hour from my home in Fallowfield, Manchester. The fee depends on travel time: for up to 30 minutes it is £60, and for 30-60 minutes it is £75. I will determine the travel time in advance using Google Maps.
The talk is about my experience and knowledge of macro photography as well as my philosophy and approach to photography as an art. I will of course show lots of my best macro images, but the talk is about far more than a set of pretty pictures.
The topics covered are:
1. A brief introduction to me, my background and experience, and why I chose to focus on macro
2. The distinction between story and beauty in art as well as in nature photography (i.e. narrative vs. pictorial qualities of images); my thoughts about this distinction and my approach with regard to macro photography.
3. My interest in competitive photography - the various types of contests suitable for macro, and some of my successful images (see the AWARDS page for examples). My thoughts about the vices and virtues of competitions.
4. A few thoughts about originality and creativity in photography.
5. How to create beautiful macro photos. This is the main substance of the talk, and it covers 7 challenges in macro and how to overcome them.
As I see it, these challenges are:
i. Finding and getting close to the subject
ii. Depth of field
iii. Camera movement
iv. Subject movement
v. Shutter speed/light
vii. Post processing
On the day I will provide a free handout to anyone who is interested with a summary of all these tips, as well as details of my workshops. I will also be happy to take questions.
My Background in Education
I am confident your members will enjoy the talk, because I have many years' experience in a variety of educational backgrounds. I have spent countless hours not only in teaching but in designing workshops, talks and activities to engage people - to ensure not only that they enjoy the talk but that they learn from it.
Here is a brief summary of my relevant background:
1. BSc in Psychology, University of Nottingham, 1st class, 1988
2. MEd, University of Manchester, 1994
3. MSc in Developmental Psychology, Penn State University, 1997
4. Graduate assistant at Penn State, including lecturing and academic advising of undergrads
5. Graduate Minor in Educational Theory, Penn State University, 1998
6. History teacher, The Owl School (11-14 year olds) in Washington DC, 1999-2001
7. Time Trips history and science workshops in primary schools, 2004-present
8. Macro photography with DSLR and macro lens since 2016
Get in touch
44 Whitebrook Road
Manchester M14 6EF
Tel: 0161 224 6445/07754 406422
Reviews of Talks
As the Membership Secretary at Bramhall Photographic Society, I’m sure I can speak for everyone who saw your superb presentation tonight. It was inspirational, such beauty and artistry in all your images. I also enjoyed the details you went through in explaining the process of producing these fabulous photographs. I do hope we have the opportunity of seeing more of your work sometime in another presentation. I did say I felt like throwing away my camera, knowing I could never produce work anything like yours! But no, I will persevere and concentrate on improving my own style.
Regards, Heather Carslake LRPS'
Reviews of Talks
'I really enjoyed your visit to the Bramhall Photographic Society with your fascinating talk on macro photography. Thank you so much for all your information and fantastic photographs. It was a truly remarkable evening.'
-Carol Stansfield, Bramhall Photographic Society
'We were very grateful to Tony North for stepping in when our expected speaker had to cancel on Monday 23rd September. Tony presented us with an excellent, very interesting and informative talk on Macro Photography. He is an expert in this field and shared with us the do’s and don'ts involved, camera settings and lenses he uses, local sites he visits to obtain his competition entries, many of which have won him prizes. All present gained a greater understanding of macro photography and look forward to members trying it out and entering competitions.'
-Bramhall Photographic Society Facebook Page
'I really enjoyed your presentation to Bramhall Photographic Society. I could tell from the content and the delivery that a lot of thought and work had gone into it. I thought it was well structured and flowed well. The examples you chose backed up and reinforced your talking notes. Your passion for the subject was obvious and so your delivery had presence and authority and added to the enjoyment of the topic.
Again from a personal perspective I really enjoyed your talk. It has inspired me to get out and try out the skills you demonstrated, so really appreciate the handout, a very thoughtful addition.'
-John Colburn Bramhall Photographic Society